Sunday, May 19, 2013

Life is a Highway

I love road trips.  Going someplace new, or even someplace I've been before.  I always have.

We always drove when we went on vacation, or to visit family.  My Daddy had to travel a lot for work and we would sometimes go with him during the summer when he would go to Oklahoma.  We would also go camping in Florida and Arkansas every summer.  (When we lived in Louisiana.) After we moved to Georgia, we would make the drive back to Louisiana about two or three times a year.

 The first time I ever got on a plane I was 14, when we went to San Francisco. I guess my parents thought that was too far to drive. Well, or that it would take too long since we were going out there because Daddy had to work.  We stayed for three weeks that trip.  And I LOVED being out there.  The city was pretty cool, but I loved the weekend day trips we took to see the coast and countryside of that part of California.  It was just so different than the Eastern US and so beautiful.

My sister Chrissy and her family have moved a lot and I've taken the kids on road trips to visit them in Durham, NC (when we lived in Atlanta), Fairfax, VA (which is a REALLY long drive from Atlanta with two toddlers) and to Dallas, TX, which is a really long drive from NC with young children and a baby.

My kids have always been good travellers.  My mama says that's because I didn't give them a choice.  :)

Chrissy now lives in Missouri and I was really hoping to make the trip to go see them this summer.  But Natalie got a part in a production of Peter Pan in our local community theatre and her rehearsals start just before school lets out for the summer.  And Will is probably going to be in braces before the summer's over, so we're spending money on that instead of trips this year.  Sigh.

Some people where we live now don't travel, and that is just foreign to me.  But John pointed out that those people don't have family that is spread out all over the place (like mine) so they don't have places to stay, which is one of the things that make it easier for me to go since I don't usually have to spend money on lodging.  (The relatives we stay with usually feed us, too.)  And since their families are all local, they don't have a reason to travel.  I would probably never have gone to Cincinnati if my parents hadn't moved there.

Since Natalie is doing the play, we'll actually stay home for most of the summer.  Which might actually be kind of nice.  Even if I will miss seeing my sister and her family.




No comments:

Post a Comment