Friday, May 3, 2013

As May Comes In

 Part I


We had passes to Biltmore last year and I enjoyed it so much that I told John I wanted to get them renewed for Christmas.  We went a lot in the first few months of the year.  We took John's parents, my sister Stacie with her boys and my sister-in-law Susan all separately within the space of a few weeks.  That was back in January and February when there was nothing going on in the gardens so we just went through the house.

Natalie and I have gone back a couple of times; in March and in the first week of April.  But it was early spring so there were just a few early bloomers like daffodils and forsythia.  I've been wanting to go see the tulips since they've been blooming, but as I said in my previous post, April was insane here and we just could not make it down there.

Yesterday morning, I went to see the gardens.  And they were beautiful.  I got there shortly after the gate opened, so there weren't a whole lot of people around yet.  And most of those went to the house first.

The Italian Gardens

The Walled Garden is one that they change every season.  Last spring, we saw the tulips past their peak.  Yesterday, I think it was much closer to their peak than it was then.  They were so pretty!







They have also have flowers other than tulips in the beds.



Looking into the Rose Garden.  I'll have to go back at the end of the month to see those blooming.

 Last year the girls and I saw the azaleas blooming at their peak.  I got to see it again this year.  They smell so good as you walk through them...  I love walking through the Azalea Garden this time of year.












This was the first time that I went through the gardens by myself; I didn't have to listen to any children complaining about being hot/thirsty/hungry/tired/ready to GO/are you done yet/need the bathroom/this is boring.  So I walked on some trails I'd never been on. I really enjoyed myself.

Tune in next time for still more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how incredibly beautiful!! Amazing a place like that exists on our continent ~ like a throw-back to a completely different time and place. Very cool. I'd love to visit there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Biltmore gardens are beautiful in the spring! It's been at least 17 years since I have been there. The two times I did go was in the spring and at Christmas. The Christmas decorations are unbelievable! The picture of the wisteria makes me miss spring time in Georgia. We don't have wisteria here, or at least I haven't seen any ~ yet.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete